Two Toddlers Killed In Ssembabule House Fire

12 Shares

Two toddlers have died in a fire that burnt the house they were sleeping in Katwe village, Lwebitakuli sub county, Ssembabule District, last night.

Martin Kizza who died in the Ssembabule house fire with his brother Gilbert Kato
Martin Kizza who died in the Ssembabule house fire with his brother Gilbert Kato

The deceased have been identified as Martin Kizza (5) and Gilbert Kato Ssemwogerere (7). Kizza’s twin brother Owen Wasswa aged (7) sustained serious injuries and is admitted at Kitovu Hospital in critical condition.

They have been pupils at Katwe Standard primary school in Lwebitakuli. The incident occurred at 4:00 am as children were in their room asleep.

According to the neighbours, fire is suspected to originate from the candle that these children were using in their room which was placed on one of the beds.

Frasco Walugembe who came to their rescue, said that he had a loud noise and was forced to come out of his house to ascertain what had happened.

He was shocked to see the room the children were sleeping in on fire. Walugembe explained that he tried to open the door but failed. He therefore proceeded to break glass windows to let the parents out.

Both parents Ronald Ssemwogerere and Ruth Naggayi were inconsolable and barely able to speak.

According to their father Ronald Ssemwogerere, the fire could have started after the children fell asleep before blowing out a candle. The children had been revising their books before going to bed.

Gilbert Kato who died in the fire with his brother Martin Kizza
Gilbert Kato who died in the fire with his brother Martin Kizza

Semwogerere is well known in the area as Mawogola County MP Sam Kutesa’s political aide.

Residents who gathered at the scene used water to stop the fire. The deceased were burnt almost beyond recognition. All the household property in the house was destroyed by the fire.

Walugembe explains that they rushed all the victims to Kitovu for treatment but two died on their way to the hospital.

A Police investigative team led by Geoffrey Mwima, the head of the CID in Ssembabule, visited the scene and confirmed that the deaths were caused by fire. Mwima says that they are to interrogate both parents to assist in the investigations.

The bodies were taken to Kitovu Hospital for post-mortem as investigations are proceeding.

Facebook Comments
12 Shares