A man has been slammed by alcohol campaigners after a film showed him downing an entire bottle of Jack Daniels in just 10 seconds.
Will Williams, of Caernarfon, north Wales, was criticised after drinking 70cl of the 40 per cent whiskey ahead of what he called a ‘weekend on the beer’.
Health experts say the reckless stunt – in which Mr Williams consumed at least 28 units of alcohol – could easily have killed him.
The video, which has gained nearly 400,000 views on YouTube, shows Mr Williams biting the seal from the bottle of liquor while his friends laugh in the background.
He then inserts a straw into the bottle to help the spirits go down quickly and knocks it back in less than 10 seconds.
After spitting on the floor, he then tells his friends ‘Neknominate that’, a reference to the recent internet craze that saw some killed after drinking large amounts of alcohol.
Many of the video’s viewers went online to criticise Mr Williams for completing the stunt, which they pointed out could easily have been fatal.
Anna Brandberg wrote: ‘What the video fails to show is that unless he threw it all up within 10-15 min, that is a LETHAL dose of alcohol, and he would almost certainly land him in the hospital with his stomach pumped.
‘This is just idiotic. I can’t believe people are applauding this, and thus putting more lives at risk as other naive people might think it seems funny and want to try it for themselves.’
Worrying however, others appear impressed by the dangerous challenge, with one man branding Mr Williams a ‘top lad’ and another woman commenting: ‘Marry me.’
Other viewers suggested the video had been faked because the neck of a spirits bottle would not allow the liquid to pour out so quickly.
But Mr Williams, 27, went online to deny the stunt – completed at motorway service station near Chester on his way to Newcastle – was fake.
When one viewer asked if he vomited after the incident, he replied: ‘None at all, I have about 40 lads that can vouch for that too.’
He told another viewer: ‘I was pretty much instantly hammered! It was done at 9.30am though and I carried on and stayed out until 3am the following morning. Wasted!’
Mr Williams told MailOnline today: ‘It wasn’t a dare. It was just something that happened when things got out of hand.
‘I’m not going to say I regret doing it, but it’s not something I would do again and I wouldn’t want anyone to copy me. I was very lucky.’
Jackie Ballard chief executive at Alcohol Concern said: ‘We need to remember that alcohol is a poison and can have extremely serious and immediate effects if consumed in a large amount at once.
‘More needs to be done to ensure the dangers of alcohol misuse, and risk of alcohol poisoning, are taken more seriously.’
Source: Daily mail