CABINET DECISIONS TAKEN DURING THE CABINET MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 28TH MAY, 2018 AT STATE HOUSE ENTEBBE.
- Approved the proposal to borrow US $84.73 Million from the Exim Bank of China to finance the National Science, Technology, Engineering and Innovation Skills Enhancement Project (ENSTEI-SEP). The Loan is required:
- To establish the National Science, Technology and Engineering Skills Enhancement Centre (NSTESEC) and Technology, Innovation and Business Incubation Centre (TIBIC) to enhance skills development and promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Innovation based Enterprise development among Graduates, Craftsmen, Technicians, Engineers as well as other Scientists and Innovators;
- To retool Graduates, Craftsmen, Technicians, and Engineers to undertake various infrastructural works (electricity distribution, water drilling and distribution, road construction, building construction pipeline construction, light railway
- construction among others) to promote local content, create employment and generate wealth; and
- To establish technology, innovation and business incubation facilities including workspaces and Common User Facilities for Scientists and Innovators to help them further develop their technologies and business models.
- Approved the proposed measures by the Ministry of Works and Transport to address road carnage in Uganda. These measures include:
- Installation of digital speed limiters in all commercial vehicles;
- Licensing of all goods vehicles and this process will require goods vehicles to fulfill certain regulatory requirements including inspection for road worthiness;
- Accreditation of drivers of goods vehicles;
- Introduction of a Graduated Driving License that will mandate drivers of commercial vehicles to undergo refresher courses and training;
- Establishment of Automated Driver Test Centers. This System is intended to minimize human bias and to allow learner drivers to undergo rigorous testing to confirm their competences to drive before issuance of driving permits; and
- Plans to step up road safety sensitization, awareness and strengthening of the coordination role of road safety activities by the Ministry of Works and Transport.
- Noted that Uganda will hold Celebrations to mark the 29th Heroes’ Day Anniversary on Saturday 9th June, 2018 at Birembo Primary School Play Ground, Birembo Sub-County, Kakumiro District under the theme “Remembering our Heroes who kept the faith and fought the fight; the duty to enrich their gains is ours”.
- Noted that 22 people hailing from various parts of the Country had perished while 13 people were critically injured in a road accident at Nanda Village, Kiryandongo District on 25th May, 2018 when the Gaaga bus they were travelling in (from Lira to Kampala) had a head-on collision with a trailer carrying crates of beer. Cabinet noted that Government would give 5 Million Shillings to each bereaved family and that 3Million Shillings would be given to each of those hospitalized as a result of the accident. Cabinet observed a moment of silence for the repose of the souls of all those who died in the accident, and commiserated with the families on the loss of their loved ones.
FRANK K. TUMWEBAZE (MP)
MINISTER FOR ICT & NG