Stay Where you are! Museveni suspends Public, private Transport as Curfew Bites


President Museveni demonstrates an activity last year (FILE PHOTO)

Kampala – Barely a fortnight since Ugandans devoured on the partial 42-day lockdown, President Yoweri Museveni has, on Friday, sanctioned strict measures with public and private transport succumbing to a suspension in efforts to help beat back a surge in Covid-19 cases.

In a nationally televised and aired address, President Museveni asserted that most of the new restrictions would be implemented for 42 days.

He further sustained the argument affirmed that an assessment of their impact will then help the government decide whether to ease or prolong them.

Also, except for cargo transporters (trains, lorries, pickups, etc), starting on Friday June 18, there will be a curfew across the whole of Uganda.

Museveni revealed that his mobilisers had observed that some sections of the public were not adhering to the curfew hours (2100 Hrs to 0530 Hrs), prompting dire consequences.

As such, he has directed that the curfew time throughout the country be pulled back to 19:00pm to 05:30 am.

Public transport has been suspended for 42-days to limit the movement and spread of the coronavirus. (FILE PHOTO)

“All human beings except security and those authorized to move should be their homes, he said.

He said Boda-Bodas will only be allowed to move only up to 17:00pm.

Boda bodas and other private vehicles have been allowed to transport cargo including delivering critical patients to hospitals, the president announced.

Government workers have been ordered to stay at home for the 42 days, save for security agencies, health workers and a few other workers to be clearly communicated.

The President announced that Entebbe International Airport will remain open, but “we shall ensure the no virus, or new variants enter Uganda”.

Markets will remain open with vendors having to camp and observe the anti-COVID SOPs. (Courtesy Photo)

He said all cargo movements, to and out of Uganda will be allowed without any disruption but said
Cargo truck drivers at land-border crossings will be tested allowed to move and be followed up at the designated Seclusion Areas and holding places for Cargo trucks.

He directed the Ministry of Works and Transport to reactivate the operations of Seclusion Areas for Cargo trucks.

He banned Non-cargo cross-border movement, except for licensed tourist vehicles for the next 42 days.

The President also directed that Food Market Venders should revert to the Presidential Directive of March 2020 to stay in their places of work.

“Kikuubo and other Business Centres should be closed, and the situation reverts to the Presidential Directive of March 2020,” he added.

For burials, whereas the compliance on this has been low, he said the high-risk factor assessed is the pressure of people seeking permission to go and attend burials from place to place.

This, he explained that it poses the highest danger of spreading the virus and breaches of the strategy.

He directed that burials be restricted to the core family as applied in the military.

Subscribe for notification