A man has died in Rakai after drinking three litres of waragi, an alcoholic gin.
The man only identified Mucunguzi (28) had claimed that he could drink the three litres of waragi and the crude alcohol would have no effect on him.
Mucunguzi made the boast at a bar owned by one Dorothy Namatovu on Sunday night.
Other people who were at the bar in Kajju village, Rakai however challenged me to prove good on his boast.
The Kajju village resident then drunk the three litres of alcohol to cheers.
However, shortly after swallowing the last drop, Mucunguzi lost consciousness. He was rushed to Mukiibi’s Clinic where he died on Monday.
Rakai District Police Commander Francis Tumwesigye confirms the incident. He adds that police has already arrested three people to help it with investigations into Mucunguzi’s death.
Those in custody over Mucunguzi’s death are the bar owner Dorothy Namatovu, George
Turyahikayo and Fred Kweyunga; all residents of Kajju village. Turyahikayo and Kweyunga are said to have brought the waragi that killed Mucunguzi.
The deceased’s body has been taken to Kalisizo hospital for postmortem.
In December 2014, John Muyombya (35) lost his life in Bukomansimbi district after going on a drinking binge without stopping to eat any food. He was drinking waragi at the time of his death.
Muyombya was a resident of Kasebwera village in Butenga sub county.