Forum for Democratic Change officials and their supporters in Kasese have decided to boycott President Yoweri Museveni’s visit to the district.
Museveni is expected to visit Kasese district later today, where he is expected to commission several projects including rural roads and Mubuku Irrigation scheme.
Saulo Maate, the Kasese district FDC chairperson says they will not participate in the president’s activities as earlier planned.
He says their decision was prompted by the failure by government to allow Major General Mugisha Muntu, the FDC president visit the district.
Muntu was scheduled to visit Kasese district on Saturday to start his tour of Rwenzori region, but the visit hangs in balance due to lack of clearance from the authorities.
Maate says they started preparing for Muntu’s visit to the district at the beginning of this month and officially notified police as required by law.
He however, says police referred the matter to Maj. James Mwesigye, the Kasese Resident District Commissioner who has reportedly refused to endorse their letter.
He also says that when they approached Kasese Municipal council to pay for Rwenzori Square, where the first rally is supposed to be held, they were turned away on grounds that the RDC had instructed them not to accept.
Maate says that Catholic Diocese has also refunded the 250,000 shillings they had paid for hiring the social hall for the district officials meeting on Saturday claiming that, the booking was done at short notice.
He says there is no reason why FDC members and their leaders should attend Museveni’s meetings adding that, the organizers didn’t even involve their area MP William Nzoghu in preparations for the visit.
Robert Centenary, one of the FDC mobilizers in Kasese Municipality where the Saturday rally is supposed to be held says that they will go ahead with their preparations for the event.
He says they have also secured a private venue for the event, which is not under government control.
Maj. James Mwesigye, the Kasese Resident District Commissioner who is accused blocking Muntu’s visit has not yet commented as he couldn’t be reached.
His secretary told our reporter that, Mwesigye was not available as he was busy preparing for Museveni’s visit.
Last year, Gen. Muntu was kicked out of the studios of Kasese Guide Radio where he was addressing issues on democracy and good governance after Thomas Kasimo, the then Rwenzori regional police commander stormed the station.