The bodies of 53 Bundibugyo attackers gunned down by the army and police have been buried in a mass grave. They were buried on Sunday evening at Kanyamwima village on a piece of land belonging to Bundibugyo town council, opposite the barracks that was attacked.
The attackers were gunned down at different locations of Bundibugyo town. Forty five were killed at the barracks, three at Bundibugyo police post, three at Stanbic Bank and two at the taxi park.
The bodies that lay in the compound of the barracks since Saturday were collected and put on a truck belonging to Bundibugyo town council and taken to the mass grave, which was dug by excavators. Lt. Ninsiima Rwamijuma, the Rwenzori region UPDF spokesperson told local media that they decided to bury the bodies in a mass grave after the army gave chance to the relatives to reclaim them in vain. He says that only two people claimed the bodies of their relatives, and were allowed to take them for burial.
He however says that the attackers don’t deserve a decent burial because they were enemies of the government since they attacked military installations and killed security officers. The deceased were dressed in tracksuits, black t-shirts and sports shoes. Earlier in the day, Kale Kayihura, the Inspector General of Police, visited Bundibugyo police station and was briefed about the attack by the DPC, Alex Mwine and Pius Mujuzi, the RDC.
Kayihura later chaired a closed security meeting with Gen. Edward Katumba Wamala, the Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) and Major General David Muhoozi, the Commander of Land Forces at Kanyamwrima barracks.
Seventy two people were killed in the simultaneous attacks that occurred in Kasese, Ntoroko and Bundibugyo districts. 55 of them were attackers, 3 police officers, 3 UPDF soldiers. Forty five people have so far been arrested in connection with the attacks and are being held at Kanyamwima barracks.