More than 1000 South Sudan refugees have entered Uganda over the past three days through Elego border post in Amuru district despite the ceasefire agreement signed by the warring factions.
On Thursday last week, the South Sudan government and forces loyal to Riek Machar, the former South Sudan vice president signed a cease-fire an agreement after more than a month of fighting.
The agreement was mediated by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, an East African trade bloc. Just a day after a cease fire came into effect; UN reported fighting between government and rebel forces. As a result, more refugees are fleeing to neighboring countries because of reported conflict.
On Friday 223 refugees entered Uganda through Elego boarder, 262 on Saturday and 64 on Sunday. Patrick Jimmy Okema, the Aswa Regional Police spokesperson says the fresh influx of refugees is an indication that the situation inside south Sudan has not yet normalized. He says although more refugees are coming in the number has drastically reduced compared to the times when the Juba crisis was at its climax.
Between 1500 to 8000 refugees crossed into Uganda daily at the peak of the clashes. Okema says police will continue with the usual security checkups and screening of the refugees. He says they will continue registering the Sudanese coming to Uganda and appealed to sub county leaders to ensure that they report and register the new comers.
Reports from Dzaipi resettlement centre in Adjumani indicates that the number of refugees has increased from 60 in a day to 500 in the past three days. The increase in the number of refugees is attributed to the fresh fight in South Sudan. Terrence Omonya, the Uganda Red Cross Society northern regions manager says the situation in the camps is still alarming in terms of water, sanitation and facilities for the refugees.
Omonya says that they have not registered any case of the refugees going back to south Sudan as the situation is not yet normal. Conflict broke out last month in south Sudan killing and displacing thousands of people in what the Sudan president Salvar Kiir described as a failed coup attempt by former vice president Dr Riek Machar.