Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni’s utterances about the atrocities committed in Uganda are much too little and too late, Uganda People People’s Congress President Olara Otunnu says.
While Speaking at Celebrations to mark 28 years of NRM on Sunday, President Museveni for the first time acknowledged that there were incidents in the anti-insurgency campaign for which they are ashamed and wondered why they were not being reported.
President Museveni cited the Mukura railway wagon incident that saw 40 people burnt and the Bucoro pit incident, in which soldiers dug pits two meters deep and laid logs covered with soil. Residents were out in the pits and fire lit on top of the logs.
He also cited the incident at Kanyum where citizens were killed by elements of the UPDF after the army had been attacked by the rebels. President Museveni added that there were incidents of looting property and incidents of indiscipline reported in Nwoya which he would follow up, unearth the culprits and hold them accountable.
But Otunnu says President Museveni has tediously faced up to the scope of the atrocities committed under his command in Northern Uganda.
Otunnu reiterates his decade long claim that the NRM government deliberately used HIV/AIDS as a weapon of mass destruction in Northern Uganda by deploying infected soldiers to sleep with girls and women. He says the acts were humiliating to families.
Otunnu says that under International law, all these actions tantamount to crimes of war, crimes against humanity and genocide. He wants President Museveni to be held should be held personally responsible for the atrocities