Ugandans living and doing business in South Sudan have started arriving home in Lamwo district fleeing fighting that broke out in the capital Juba on Saturday night and later spread. The fighting has so far claimed 66 soldiers and 27 civilians.
Ocaya Charles, the LC3 chairperson of Lamwo Town Council, says his office has received 5 returning families who were doing business in South Sudan as others returned unrecorded.
Ocaya says residents of South Sudan from Pajok and Lubone in South Sudan have continued to seek treatment in Uganda.
Ochen Kwanga, the Lamwo district Vice Chairperson told Uganda Radio Network that there was no immediate confirmation of fleeing residents.
He however says a team has been formed to monitor the situation at the porous Uganda South Sudan border should refugees begin to trickle in.
Ayo Molly Obua, the Lamwo RDC, who is in charge of security could not immediately be reached for comment as her known mobile numbers were switched off.
At least 3 Ugandans have so far been killed in the fighting described by the government as an attempted coup. President Salva Kiir accuses sacked former President Riek Machar of being behind the coup attempt.
The government of South Sudan says it is in complete control of the situation despite gunfire continuing for a third night.
Yesterday, Presidential guard forces raided the house of South Sudan’s former vice-president, Riek Machar, in the Amarat district, destroying much of the property, as heavy gunfire resumed in Juba on Tuesday.
The compound was being protected by Machar’s bodyguards but his whereabouts remain unknown.