International Criminal Court prosecutors asked judges on Monday to reverse a ruling allowing Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta to attend only parts of his trial, after a similar decision involving his deputy was overturned last week.
Appeals judges ruled on Friday that Kenyan Deputy President William Ruto must attend his own crimes against humanity trial, saying Ruto could only be excused under “exceptional circumstances.”
The court on October 18 partially excused Kenyatta to allow him to fulfil his duties at home following a deadly attack on a Nairobi shopping mall last month.
“The prosecution submits that the trial chamber should vacate the (October 18) Kenyatta decision and revert to the general rule… that Mr Kenyatta must (also) be present during trial,” chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said in an application before the court.
Kenyatta, who was elected president in March, has long said that the trial in The Hague would hamper his running of the country – even though he has pledged his full cooperation.