Rwanda has accused the Congolese government provocation. It comes after two bombs fired by suspected Congolese forces landed in Kageshi and Gasiza Cells in Busasamana Sector, Rubavu District of Western Rwanda on Monday evening.
Brig. Gen Joseph Nzabamwita, the Rwanda Defense spokesperson says the bombs were fired from an area controlled by the Congolese government forces and the UN Mission in Congo-MONUSCO. Nzabamwita argues that the bombs were fired by Congolese forces on Rwandan soil deliberately since there are no clashes on the Congolese side of the border.
He says despite the fact that no one was hit by the bombs, residents are living in fear. Nzabamwita accuses the Congolese government forces of supporting the Forces of the Liberation of Rwanda -FDLR to attack his country and destabilize the prevailing peace.
The FDLR rebels, mainly comprised of Hutu militias fled Rwanda into DRC shortly after the 1994 genocide, which claimed over 800,000 Tutsi and Moderate Hutus. The two neighboring government have not been on good terms over the last two years after the DRC government accused Rwanda of backing M23 rebels.
However, Rwanda has vehemently denied supporting the rebels. The Congolese government has not yet commented on the accusations.
However earlier on Monday, the Congolese government spokesperson Lambert Mende accused Rwanda of sending troops to reinforce the M23 rebels on the front line at Mutaho about 10 kilometers from the North Kivu Provincial Capital of Goma. He claimed that RPF fighters arrived in DRC dressed disguised as women and joined the M23 Rebels.