Health workers at Fort Portal Referral hospital have called off their sit down strike after meeting the hospital administrators and receiving a commitment that their salaries will be paid by 27th May.
On Thursday last week the hospital workers went on strike to protest government failure to pay their salaries for the last two months and failing to honour promised pay increases. The strike paralysed operations at the hospital, leaving hundreds of patients stranded.
Dr. John Mali, a radio graphpher at the X-Ray unit and representative of the workers, told the media on Wednesday afternoon that the decision to call off their strike was reached after a closed door meeting with the hospital Medical Superintendent Dr. Charles Olara , Mr.Kiraso Edison, chairperson Management Board and other hospital administrators on Tuesday.
He says the workers were convinced to call off their strike after the administrators assured them they would receive their salaries by 27th May, 2013.
He noted though that there had been no official response from the Ministry of Public Service and the health ministry.
As a show of commitment, the administration gave each worker 50,000 shillings to help with their immediate needs.
Dr.Mali says most of the workers agreed to return to work because they take their medical oath to save lives seriously.
He cautioned that the workers promise to resume the strike should their salaries not be paid by the agreed date.
Alexander Kikwaya, the hospital Principal Administrator, confirmed to the media the temporary suspension of the strike.