Financial constraints have forced the Uganda Badminton Association (UBA) to abandon plans to send the national junior team for the 2013 All Africa Championships in Algeria.
The Association and the technical committee had selected a team that has been training for the event which takes place April 13-19.
Simon Mugabi, the Chief Executive Officer, told Redpepper Online this morning that they had decided to abandon the trip because they failed to get money from the several private companies they approached.
The CEO explained that they had even tried to get funds from government through the National Council of Sports (NCS), but still failed. Mugabi said that the NCS General Secretary, Jasper Aligawesa advised that UBA call off the trip because there was no money.
Mugabi said it was an unfortunate failure to raise UGX20 million had denied Uganda chance to improve on the bronze medal won in 2011 when the event was held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Daniel Mihigo, a student of Taibah High School who had been selected for the rip told our reporter that he was very disappointed because they had worked hard and even participated in national trials. The other players who were on the team include; Davis Senono, Brian Kasirye, Bruno Masaba, Brenda Awori, Glady Mbabazi, Brenda Mugabi and Brenda Nabusindo.
In February the badminton body also failed to send the national team for the Seniors Championship in Addis, Ababa because of lack of sponsorship.