Mbuya Barracks Attack: 2 Soldiers Charged

Army spokesman Felix Kulayigye
Army spokesman Felix Kulayigye

Three people including 2 UPDF soldiers have been charged before the Makindye General Court Martial with offences relating to the attack on Mbuya Military Barracks last week.

Lt. Augustine Moro, Private Kenneth Kalokwera and Ivan Ebong, a security guard attached to Damacles private security company, appeared this afternoon before court presided over by Brigadier Fred Tolit. They all denied the offences that prosecution alleges were committed on March 4, 2013.

The two soldiers have been remanded to Makindye military police barracks while Ebong has been taken to Kigo prison. They will return to court on April 11.

Prosecution led by Capt. Fred Kangwamu alleges that on March 4, Lt Moro, Private Okello, Ebong and others still at large at Lower Mbuya Military Barracks in Nakawa Division, Kampala while armed with a firearm, attacked the barracks with the aim of acquiring guns. The act according to prosecution was intended to prejudice the security of the defence forces.

They are also alleged to have assaulted Corporal Stephen Ojakol, a guard they found on duty that day.

According to Col Felix Kulayigye, the army spokesperson Lt Col Omolo, a UPDF deserter was the only person killed during the attack. But the court appearance adds a twist to the incident, as Kulayigye had insisted did not amount to an attack.

He said the incident was an attempt by thugs to snatch a rifle from a guard and not an attack. A source inside the military facility at the time the incident occurred told URN that the attackers estimated at 35 and armed with 3 guns had intentions to raid the armoury.

Enable Notifications    Ok No thanks