Another victim of the Bulange-Mengo fire has passed away after surviving for a month at Nakasero hospital bringing the number of victims from the fire to five.
The deceased was identified as Aisha Nayiga who was also a Kabaka guard and a UPDF soldier. The fire that gutted the Bulange-Mengo armory on October 10th this year claimed the lives of several people.
The victims of the fire were receiving treatment at Nakasero hospital after the Kabaka ordered that they be taken there for treatment. Three of the admitted died later on and two were discharged although they still have wounds to treat.
Nayiga was a daughter of Haruna Lubega Kaddunabbi and Jalia Nassuna who are residents of Butambala. She was also related to former MP of Butambala, Lubega Kaddunabbi.
The first to perish were Richard Ssebuguzi, an employee of Buganda Land Board, Capt. Mivule head of the Kabaka’s army, a care taker, Betty Nakanwagi and the woman who is said set off the fire.
Nayiga’s body was taken in Bombo, it will be taken from there to her parent’s home in Mirembe. Her husband, Edward Mawanda was also a guard and drives the car which transports the Queen of Buganda.
On October 31st Uganda Police released a report on the fire that gutted the Bulange-Mengo armory leading to the deaths of several people.
Ms. Judith Nabakooba, the police spokesperson, while addressing journalists after the release of the report said that the fire was caused by petrol which was spilled in the armory where it broke out killing four people.
Nabakooba said that the fire caused a lot of damage because police was called in late at the scene to contain the fire.
The fire at Bulange broke out after an unidentified woman poured petrol which she found in the security office. She had been detained in the security office after trying to forcefully enter Bulange.