Part of the boys' dormitory that was destroyed in the fire.

Property worth millions of shillings were converted to ashes after fire gutted a boy’s dormitory at Bishop Ddungu Primary School in Lwengo district.

Part of the boys' dormitory that was destroyed in the fire.
Part of the boys’ dormitory that was destroyed in the fire.

The incident occurred on Wednesday at around 11:30 am when pupils were in class.

The fire gutted a primary four dormitory that accommodates at least 60 pupils at Kyamaganda village, in Kiseeka Sub County in Lwengo district.

Catherine Nakalema, an English teacher at Bishop Ddungu Primary School, said that they noticed smoke billowing from the boy’s dormitory.

On closer inspection, they were shocked to find the boy’s hostel on fire.

She further said that they tried to put out the fire by using sand and water while waiting for police to show up. However, by the time police arrived, they had almost put out the fire.

Some of the property Bishop Ddungu Primary School pupils managed to save from the fire.
Some of the property Bishop Ddungu Primary School pupils managed to save from the fire.

Suspicion falls on a primary four pupil who is said to have been in the dormitory at the time of the incident.

It is reported that the minor was playing with a match box in the dormitory and may have accidently started the fire.

The Officer in charge of Kinoni police station, David Karugaba confirmed that police is investigating these suspicions.

No one was injured in the fire  and the officer in charge asked school administrators to spare time to teach their staff and school going children how to fight fire in case of a fire outbreak.

No Tags

RELATED ARTICLES

News From The Rest Of The Wold

Loading...